The Christmas holiday period is typically extremely busy and can also be extremely indulgent with everyone gorging themselves on a sumptuous Christmas pudding or wine and enjoying plenty of holiday hospitality with family and friends. In short, health and fitness is not generally found at the top of Santa’s naughty or nice list.
It can be a stressful period on the body in many ways. So, we have come up with some simple Xmas survival health tips.
Top Chiropractic tips:
- Keep moving! Go for a walk or do some of your daily stretching exercises and make it a regular part of your holiday period.
- Leave Santa and his reindeer some carrots and apples, not chocolate cookies! I’m sure he is getting plenty of cookies, reduce those chemical stressors which can affect his vital spine and nervous system.
- Try and remember your postures and optimal lifting techniques when either lugging around heavy gifts at the shops.
- If doing things you don’t normally do, like your yearly renovations or gardening works, remember to take it easy and listen to your body for any warning signs that may indicate you have subluxations. Such as reduced range of motion, stiffness, pain or soreness, etc.
- Just because it’s Christmas does not mean you have to eat the whole pudding or the whole cheesecake. Remember everything in moderation, and try to keep to a normal every day routine. According to ‘Nutrition Australia’ we put on an average of 0.8-1.5kg over the Xmas period. It could take weeks just to shed those kilos again.
- Make an alcohol deal with yourself! Don’t have any more than you would have had normally if it wasn’t Christmas. Alcohol only dehydrates you and has vast negative effects on your health and wellbeing. Balance each glass with a glass of water or herbal tea.
- Anxiety, depression and stress are very common during the festive season. Reflect on the success you had this year – Set your goals for the New Year.
- Take some time out for either yourself or your immediate family. Whether it is a hobby or a quiet getaway, take some time out and remember that stress can have a dramatic impact on your spinal health.
- Get enough sleep. Plan for some early nights in as the ‘silly’ season can cause havoc with our sleeping routines.
We hope you have an enjoyable Christmas and if you do happen to need a Chiropractor, give us a call Platinum Chiropractic Centre (07) 49722786 Gladstone.